Saturday, May 3, 2008

Raconteurs Concert Photos



Long lines and lots of people driving from other areas of the country it seemed for this concert. Arriving early as usual at The Uptown Theater to make sure my photo pass was there then I talked to a few people who recognized me from shooting the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club show a few days prior. I was the first one in the venue and watched Brendan Benson tune up a bit for a few minutes. The place became packed very quickly. I decided to stay behind the barrier to shoot the opening band "The Birds Of Avalon" who were a little bit to proggy for me. Two young girls squeezed in beside me and by young I mean like seven and nine years old. There were there with their mom and dad from Lawrence and were huge Jack White fans wearing home made t-shirts and carrying flowers for Jack. It looked like the place was a sell out or close to it. While I was waiting in the pit for The Raconteurs to start, some chick in the front row behind the barricade passed out then threw up all over the place...eeeek. I was talking to a security guard who looked like George Foreman about it...he goes "I can't even look at it...I threw a towel over it". But it was still splattered all over the little seat part of the barricade right in the middle where I usually sit. I have a non throw up streak dating back a long time...but the stench was making me feel a bit queasy. Anyway I only got to shoot the first three songs. The band came on after a long wait and me and two other photographers were running around trying to do the best we could with the limited time and jumping over the puke puddle. I hadn't eaten all day so after I shot the photos I felt a bit shaky so I watched a few more songs from the side and split. I read in The Pitch Weekly Review that a girl fainted and Jack White jumped down off the stage and carried her to safety...I wonder if it was the same girl from earlier?




Raconteurs 1

Raconteurs 2

Raconteurs 11

Raconteurs 4

Raconteurs 5

Raconteurs 6

Raconteurs 9

Raconteurs 7

Raconteurs 10

Click here for my full set of photos from the concert.


1 comment:

Jen G. said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures from that night.

I was in the front row right where the girl puked and I was straddling it all night. Security sucked so bad that night - they didn't even clean it up! Bastards...

But anyway, the girl Jack rescued was different. She was a few rows back from the front, and I think she was just overheated and exhausted.