Monday, March 31, 2008

Carbon/Silicon Live In Kansas City

Mick Jones


Carbon/Silicon stopped by the Record Bar in Kansas City to play a great set on Saturday, March 29th. I went about five hours early in hopes of meeting Mick Jones of The Clash and Big Audio Dynamite fame. When I pulled in the parking lot I saw a figure pushing a shopping cart in the distance...I thought, that can't be my guitar hero Mick Jones could it? I got closer and pulled right up to him, it was Mick! He looked up in fear as if I might hit him...I pulled over and followed him into a book store and had a nice chat. He was looking through a load of old books, he looked up and saw an old seven set volume of an author I hadn't heard of. He opened the first book and opened it with delight. I asked him questions while he thumbed through various books adding them to his basket. I had written out some questions but left them in the car with my camera...so I just asked obvious questions like, what is your favorite Clash album? The first one he told me. What is your favorite Big Audio Dynamite album? Megatop Phoenix, it had kind of a story to it throughout the entire thing. He went on to tell me he was familiar with Kansas City saying he had had a girlfriend in St.Louis. Mick said he would sign all my Clash and B.A.D. albums and cd covers after sound check. I walked in and sat at the bar while Tony James (Generation X -Sigue Sigue Sputnik) and the band played minus Mick...Tony said "Where's Jonesy?" He showed up twenty minutes later. Sound check was pretty lengthy..I was surprised when they played an Oasis song...Definately Maybe.

Matt Pond PA opened up the show, and were quite good. I had read a little about them on blogs but hadn't really given them a good listen. I will now. They played a great set and even played "Brooklyn Stars" an older song that a girl to my left requested.
Carbon/Silicon took the stage at about 10:45 playing a nice ten song set. Mick and Tony looked like they were having a great time up there and were feeding off the crowd. Mick was quite lively dancing around a bit smiling at the crowd. I loved when Mick introduced the band and played a snippet of "Police on my back" which made my night...I thought this will be the closest to ever hearing a Clash song live again. I had seen The Clash II and Joe Strummer in concert before so this was my first time seeing Mick and I wasn't disappointed. Some would say it's old man rock..but these old men are playing fresh tunes not relying on their back catalog from 25 years ago. I had a wonderful time, the band and crew were very nice indeed.

Song list was:
The Magic Suitcase
I Loved You
War On Culture
Reason To Believe
Soylent Green
Acton Zulus
The News
Really The Blues
WTF?
Why Do Men Fight?

Carbon/Silicon 4
Carbon/Silicon 11
Carbon/Silicon 6
Carbon/Silicon 1
Mick Jones #2
For full photo set go to: Here

1 comment:

rebmoti said...

Loved c/s, didn't think much of Matt Pond, the songs were ok no one was really strong instrumentally. The difference between a drummer who can't drive the thing and a drummer who can was clear during the 2nd band.